Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fall Semester 2010 Life Drawing Overview


I felt like this post should be in red. Some kind of festive bold color to celebrate the progress of me, and my fellow student artists & designers this semester in LD I.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliaguettler/

Here the link to my flickr in which my work has been organized into four basic catagories of the semester Manekin, Gesture Drawings, Long Drawings & Shell Drawing Homework.

The semester has been an extremely productive one, and I walked into this class not having taken a drawing class since Drawing II my sophomore year of college. Figurative drawing is worlds away, and in my opinion way more helpful in figuring out the rendering of form. One of the things I feel like I was most successful at working on this semester was taking a step back from my tendency to generalize things and really LOOK at people, at hands, at feet-at things I didn't take the time to pour my drawing soul into before. Something as simple and beautiful as a Tortoise shell is something I would have completely overlooked before, but now I see the intricate details that are worth recording on paper. I feel very empowered by the anatomy lessons I learned this semester. Building Allen up from nothing has been something that has been tricky for me, but something I really had to take the time to master. I had to sit down and look over images of muscles-of the human anatomy, and I feel really proud of how far I came from not knowing what the hell to do with the clay on the manekin.

The gesture drawings were something else I felt empowered on. I really had no clue what I was doing there at first. With classical long drawing poses, I felt like it was a language I inheritly understood. The gesture drawings were something else entirely. After awhile though I could see the sacrem, I could see the lungs, I could see the tibia steading the leg, and the knee caps flexing. This was a new language I had to learn. The gesture drawings I uploaded look so simple, yet they are so intricate in the fact that you have to know the placement of the organs in the body to understand, to truly be able to draw gesture drawings.

Anyways, here are some images of how Allen turned out- as well as my final shell drawing in which I wasn't as happy as the second, but I tried to really grasp the texture of the shell-I'm going to be sad to see this go...I can't wait to take LD II!

No comments:

Post a Comment